Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Gas? Or no Gas?

Sunday was quite an adventure. A few of us students here at AFCOE took the train into downtown Frankfurt to see the area.

It is a city that combines the old with the new. In a way it reminded me of Boston, except that the streets were much wider and it was easier to find our way.


The Headquarters for the Euro I guess.




Some very interesting music on the streets!


Che (America), Christoph (Germany), Eli (Bulgaria), and Adina (Romania).


Spring is already here in Germany!




This Cathedral was huge!!! And a church service was going on inside in Latin.


        It was quite an experience visiting Frankfurt. For lunch we went to an authentic Italian Restaurant. The waiter came and asked what we wanted to drink. I wanted to be cheap and just ask for water like I would do in the states. Then the waiter (Who was Italian and didn't speak great English) asked, "Gas or no gas?" and I was very confused for a second. Then I kinda figured out that he must mean sparkling water or just regular. So I again, trying to be cheap just said, "No gas." Then the waiter promptly ask, "So you want it flat?" This question again confused me for a second. But I figured that flat was fine I guess. 

     Then in a few minutes the waiter comes out with the drinks and gives me a wine glass and a small glass bottle of bottled mineral water. This was quite a surprise for me because in the USA when you ask for water they just give you a cup of tap water. Anyways, I ended up paying 2.50 Euros, which I could have just used to get another type of drink. It was pretty good water though.

No comments:

Post a Comment